Sunday 16 June 2019

My father: My first boss!


                             Happy Father's Day!

My father: My first boss!
 

I remember
The apprenticeship
A gig that was short and telling
To hand him the pliers and then to run the wires


I was like 10
He was a big set guy
I was quick to quiver at his voice
I was paid enough for a Sunday matinee show at Gem


But many weekends and most evenings
I would learn to be an electrician whilst studying
From the country’s best, Rabbi, was Guysuco’s and DDL’s best
He taught refrigeration, generator repairs and wiring houses


To put a smile, God rest his soul!
I did run some wedding houses’ lights, like Aunty Inese’s
I did crawl in some ceilings to hide wires in Uncle Hydrali’s
I did not heed his venting or hammering


I wanted to be an engineer after leaving Queens
To follow the footsteps of my Granpa Wajid Ali
Who engineered the electrical wires from sugar factory to the seawall
But I turned my back and became an itinerant scholar from Enmore!


I learnt from my dad
To work hard and honest
To help someone in distress
And to be passionate, that would make life worth living to its best!

                          HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment